Friday, April 22, 2005

Diary: 19 April, 'an evening service'


looking up at the entrance
Originally uploaded by koji yamamoto.
Looking up its magnificent facade, I went into the Minster. I can only speculate why i did it. That evening, I submitted a piece of work (or a mere summary and an outline of one of the chapters of my dissertation) to Natasha, my supervisor. I failed to meet my workload. Perhaps I wanted to take that fact seriously. And I didn't want to go back my flat straight ahead. So I wanted, I suppose, something different from what I would have felt in my daily routine in here. I thus entered, and heard the choir singing. It was irresistible. I found myself asking if I could get closer to listen to it. The person told me where to go, and where to have a seat. Whatever the reason, it now became the first time in my life to go spontaneously to an evening service (or any service whatsoever). For the next half an hour, I saw the rituals being performed; I was a mere passer-by. Yet, it made some difference. On the way back, I enjoyed a little lighter steps than would have otherwise been possible. So, in the dusk I looked back the Minster, with some strange sense of owe, which, perhaps, no committed Christian would dare to feel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home