Friday, May 06, 2005

From Neath!!

Hiya, how are you doing?? I am doing well.
This is my third day in Wales. I worked in Swansea once, and this is my second day in Neath, a thriving town 30mins east of Swansea by bus.

Neath is a special place to me, because the person I am working on in my dissertation, Sir Humphrey Mackworth (1657-1727), used to live near here. So the archive in the town is full of records relating to his political & business records. Yesterday, I skimmed a bundle of legal documents. H. Mackworth was a MP in the Commons, but was at the same time deeply involved in commerce as the Deputy Governor of a mining company. The company failed disastrously in ten years after the floatation; and as a result, he became embroiled in law suits, being accused for the failure and fraudulent management, while accusing others in his turn. So he used legal process to defend his own reputation, just as some other gentlemen might have done at that time.

In the bundle of legal papers, I found a copy of a reply of Mackworth to a set of allegation cast upon him. This would become a further evidence to understand the nature of his 'perdon tale'; it would help me understand how Mackworth, as a social superior, depicted his involvement in commerce on the one hand, and his notion of responsibility/accountability on the other.

While working on this sort of rhetorical analysis of manuscript document. I should keep my eyes open to other issues as well. At a specific level, his pardon tale isn't a sole object of my discourse analysis. And at a more general level, I can also examine something other than the rhetoric on the paper.

Well, I should roll up my study talk; I'll go back to work now! Tomorrow, I am going to Cardiff to see my friend. Cardiff is apparently a good place to visit. I'm looking forward to it.
Take care.
Koji

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home