Monday, October 31, 2005

loss and vanity

I lost one of my faviourite scarfs this morning, the one I bought in Estonia. I think it was when I went to the King's Manor in the city centre to submit a piece of writing to my supervisior. I was tired and in a rush. I believe this was partly why I lost it. I tried to find out but couldn't. I'll double check again at the security centre tomorrow. It's tempting to forget about it; it's depressing to remeber the loss of my favourite thing. But I write about it here, so that I can remind myself of this unhappy result of being in a hurry and badly organized.

A few small things saved me from feeling down though.

1) I bought another harb oil from Culpeper the harvalist. This time I got rosemary; while lavendar is more like relaxing, this one is kind of stimulating.
2) I got a pot of basil at the store for cooking. Chopped it and splinkle on top of my pasta. It was good.
3) and I found my photo at the departmental noticeboard. I was the last one in the list of departmental staff. It would sound silly (because it is!) but I found it absolutely gratifying. There's an irresistible sense of achievement in seeing myself (however a slightly awkward representation) among those who I thought beyond my reach at the beginning.

I shall mix the loss with the trace of vanity and remedies. I'll have a better day tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home