Saturday, October 15, 2005

Teaching while at the same time studying

It's just turned out that I will be doing three teaching jobs from this academic term. I'm now at the end of Week 1 of the University, looking towards the remaining 9 weeks to come. From next week, I will be doing a teaching assistant (TA) to lead a discussion group of 11 first year undergrads in the History Department; also, teaching Japanese privately to a old gentleman at a fairly advanced level; and lastly, doing a private tutor of a teenage girl who's in a breath-takingly posh boarding school nearby York, who literally knows nothing about Japanese at all.

All the while, I have met my supervisor yesterday, and set a few goals for this term. It means I will be writing a literature review on the concept of corporate social responsibility (CSR) very soon. This is a field more related to business schools and social policy departments, but I have decided to dip myself into a little bit with historian's eyes.

Teaching three times a week while conducting my research in a new field sounds like quite a challenge, as it actually will be. But I take it to be the best opportunity to develop my teaching career, earn a little money, but more importantly to know more about undergraduate education in the UK, develop my skill of time management both academic and private, and not least to sneak into a world of teenage girls with uniforms and Queen's English!! Hahaha!
I hope I can soon share with you some of my experience!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home