Friday, July 08, 2005

London Blasts

I do not pretend to understand the emotional magnitude of the incidence in London. I feel obliged to accept what one of those who actually experienced the blast told BBC:
I've been watching the news and seeing people say that they will get back on the tube and get on with life, but I will not be getting on a tube. They didn't see the damage from the bomb and I did. I will eventually get on, but not for a very long time.
I can do nothing but to wish persons like him will be able to cope with its horrendous memory, while sending condolences to those who had died and who have lost their loved ones.

Besides, I must say this incident will be a real challenge for all British citizens who 'didn't see the damage' as well as for those who wish to take terrorism seriously.

Let me introduce one extreme example from the US. Here is some lyrics that show what a patoriotic Amrican thought he ought to remeber, facing the 9/11 and the following attack on Afganistan. Note that this song stayed in a billboard (country) for a longtime.
I hear people saying we don't need this war
I say there's some things worth fighting for
What about our freedom and this piece of ground
We didn't get to keep 'em by backing down
Now they say we don't realize the mess we're getting in
Before you start your preaching let me ask you this my friend

Have you forgotten how it felt that day?
To see your homeland under fire
And her people blown away
Have you forgotten when those towers fell?
We had neighbors still inside going thru a living hell
And you say we shouldn't worry 'bout bin Laden
Have you forgotten?

From Darryl Worley, 'Have you forgotten',
the entire lyric and a music clip

My concern is whether or not and to what extent British people will undergo a sort of emotional development similar to the one shown above. In other words, I'm wondering to what extent the shock and fear of this terrible incidence could cause you to believe that the use of might, the 'War on Terror', is the means we should accept, if not support and promote as the song does.

I, as an outsider, would still want to ask "Have you forgotten?" in rather different waya: "Have you forgotten? Violence only calls for violence;" "Have you forgotten? We should look for reasons why such an atrocity could happen."

A few weeks ago, Tony Blair said in effect that the current crisis on the EU constitution can be seen as an opportunity to tackle a series of difficult issues. Is it profane to bring in the same mentality now? Is this not an opportunity to reflect how far the 'War on Terror' and the fight for 'Democracy' and 'Freedom' have eladicated the roots of terrorism?

The lives and tears of those involved should not be lost in further violence, and we should dedicate our thoughts to avoid this.

What do you think we should remember?
What do you think is the lesson we should learn from this atrocity in London?

1 Comments:

At Thursday, 14 July, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a Buddhist so I believe in non-violence.
Of course people might say that if terrorist events happen to my home country or my family, I would not be such a confident supporter of non-violence.
But, everything in this world has cause and effect,
only that our limited wisdom does not allow us to see through the web of things.
When I prefer one person to another, or one thing to another, I constantly remind myself that this kind of discriminating preference is the root of conflicts.
If we can love our neighbour as we do our family, or, more over,
if we can love any creature as do human beings,
from whence would such atrocities come?

I am as yet to practise what I preach, but I am trying,
and it's my ultimate goal.
Could we not pursuing our goal just because our present mindset does not comprehend the possibility of ever reaching the goal?
There are times when kind-hearted people need to be strong and take action against injustice,
but we need to do this in the best interest for the entire community,
and not letting self-interest or party spirit shadow our discretion.
We also need to guard against the temptation of excusing our action in the name of 'for the good of the world'.
This is why wisdom is the defining virtue of a Bodhisattva amongst the six virtues of:
(1) dana - charity/giving
(2) sila - moral/conduct/taking precepts
(3) ksanti - patience
(4) virya - vigor/devotion/energy
(5) dhyana - contemplation/meditation
(6) prajna - wisdom.
For, without wisdom, these other five virtues are easily abused.
For instance, people become self-righteous and condemn others,
or become self-conceited or stick to the letter of the precepts.

We recover our original wisdom when we reach the state of Nirvana, in which we experience no differences between ourselves and other beings.
We feel wholeheartedly that helping others is actually helping ourselves,
and we are patient and tolerant,
and do not harbour any hatred against those who, to common perception, have done great injustice to ourselves.

Only a true practioner is able to taste dharma joy.
Buddhism is therefore not a mere philosophy to be studied in the academy, nor a religion of ceremonies and worships.
It is a teaching with which we can obtain immutable and non-relative happiness.
I humbly wish that peace be with all of us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home