Saturday, July 08, 2006

7th July is a special day indeed

There's an established tradition across Asian countries to have a festival on 7th July. It's 七夕 (Called 'tanabata' in Japanese, 'Qi Xi' in Mandarine), based on the lengendary meeting of Orihime (Vega) and Hikoboshi (Altair). The Milky Way, a river made from stars that crosses the sky, separated these two lovers, and they were allowed to meet only once a year. Find more in wiki.

Many people - and so did I - write down their wishes and then hang it from a bamboo. I haven't done this this year though. But there we go. I've drawn up a few things I wish to do over the summer.

1) I want to enjoy joining the Kid's Camp at the end of this month. This would be another exploration into English soceity, albeit quite a lay-back one.

2) I've recently bought bongoes as in the photo below. So I wanna practice a bit, and enjoy music as much as I have done. Indeed, music is spelled 音楽 in Japanese, which quite literally reads 'sound' and 'to enjoy'.

3) A little more challenging one. I want to start learning French so that I can attend an intermediate level French course from October. So ask me "Monsieur, vous parlez français?" in late September!!

Well, but I know what I really want to wish. I wish to be able to sing "Time after Time" as my own song: "if you're lost you can look - and you will find me time after time". Oh, I'm miles away.

So what's your wish for the summer?

Things to do over the Summer

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, 12 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So in Japan your 'tanabata' is dated according to solar calendar?!

In Taiwan we celebrate 七夕 on the 7th day of the 7th month of the lunar calendar.
Strange enough, this year we will have two 7th months (also called 'ghost month'), so I guess we'll have two such festivals...

Tu veux edudier francais?
Bon courage!
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home